Gnocchi is a form of dough dumpling which is usually made from potatoes and a bit of flour. It has its origin in Italy and like pasta, is usually enjoyed with different types of sauces. Below, I will be showing you how to make very light and airy gnocchi.
(1) 1 Large Floury Potato like King Edwards (Between 450-500 Grams)
(2) 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour (45 Grams)
(3) Salt to Taste
(1) Boil the potato in salted water until soft. Do not peel the potato as you do not want it soggy
(2) When the potato is tender, remove it from the boiling water, allow it to cool down and peel it.
(3) Pass the potato through a ricer or food mill. Like mashed potatoes, this is how to get light and fluffy gnocchi. Do not use a food processor or mixer.
(4) Spread the potato on your work surface and sift the flour over it.
(5) Form the mixture into a dough. Do not over work it or it will be tough and robbery.
(6) Form the dough into a large log and divide the log into smaller logs with a bench scraper or knife.
(7) Elongate each log by rolling it with your fingers on a lightly floured work surface. Cut the logs into 1 inch pieces. The gnocchi can be used this way. It can also be shaped with a fork or gnocchi board.
(8) To shape, roll each gnocchi on the back of a fork or gnocchi board onto a lightly floured tray or plate. The grooves created by the gnocchi board or fork will help in trapping in the sauce.
(9) Leave the gnocchi to dry for about 30 minutes before cooking. It can also be packed and frozen/refrigerated until needed.
HOW TO COOK GNOCCHI:
(1) Fill a pot with water, salt it and bring it to boil.
(2) Working in batches, put the gnocchi in the boiling water and cook until they start to float.
(3) Scoop them out as they float and replenish the boiling water with more gnocchi.
(1) Mashed Potatoes. Recipe here.