Ravioli is a type of stuffed pasta. It consists of a filling between two thin sheets of pasta dough. It can be served with pasta sauces or in a broth. The beauty about making your own ravioli at home is that you can fill it with anything that you like. The raviolis I made in this post for instance were filled with a smoked salmon and cheese filling. Below I will be showing you 3 ways of making ravioli.
(1) Pasta Dough rolled into sheets. A recipe for pasta dough along with notes on how to roll it can be found here.
(2) A filling of your choice.
(3) 1 Egg White
(A) WITH RAVIOLI MAKER
The first way of making ravioli is with a ravioli maker. This can be purchased online on Amazon or ebay or in Italian grocery shops.
(1) Dust the metal part of the ravioli maker with flour to prevent the dough from sticking to it. Place a sheet of rolled dough over the metal part.
(2) Place the white plastic part over the pasta dough and press it down. This will create spaces for the filling.
(3) Stuff the dough with your filling. Do not put too much filling or the raviolis would burst during cooking.
(4) Brush the exposed dough portion with egg white and place another sheet of pasta dough over the filling.
(5) Run a rolling pin over the maker to cut off the excess dough and divide the ravioli into portions.
(6) Tap out the fresh raviolis. These can be cooked fresh in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes. Read more about how to cook pasta here. They can also be stored in the fridge or freezer in air tight bags or containers. Below, I will be showing you two other ways of making ravioli using some leftover dough.
(B) WITH FLUTED RAVIOLI CUTTER
Another way of making ravioli is with round fluted ravioli cutters which can also be purchased online or in Italian or pastry stores.
(1) Place a sheet of rolled dough on your work surface.
(2) Place filling on dough leaving about half an inch space between each scoop of filling.
(3) Brush the exposed dough with egg white and place a second sheet of pasta dough over the filling. Press the around the filling to seal the dough and push out trapped air.
(4) Use the cutter to cut around the filling.
(C) WITH KNIFE/PIZZA WHEEL/ PASTRY WHEEL
The third way of making ravioli is with a knife or any other cutter of your choice. In this case, I have used a fluted pastry cutter.
(1) Place rolled out pasta dough sheets on your work surface and follow the steps as in B above.
(2) Use your cutter to cut around the filling.
Now that you know how to make ravioli, you can go ahead and make other types of stuffed pastas like tortellini. Do give it a go!