This is a creative and nutritious way of enjoying your breakfast in one handy basket. The basket is made of crunchy potatoes filled with eggs and any other toppings of your choice. It is light and crunchy and serves as a blank canvas on which your imagination can run wild. Try this for a Saturday breakfast.
(1) 2 Large Potatoes
(2) 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
(3) 9 Eggs – 1 Dozen
(4) Salt and Pepper to Taste
(1) Wash and peel skin off potatoes.
(2) Grate potatoes and place grated potatoes in water while grating. This will prevent the potatoes from oxidizing and will also help remove the starch coating potatoes. Do not leave in water for long as potato will absorb water as a result of osmosis.
(3) Drain potatoes, salt, and place in sieve to drain completely. The salt will help with the water extraction process.
(4) Melt the butter and mix with the grated potatoes in a large bowl. Add some pepper and more salt if needed.
(5) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(6) Grease or butter regular muffin pan cups. Grease liberally so the potatoes do not stick to pan.
(7) Scoop potions of potatoes into muffin cups and press against bottom and sides of cups to form nest.
(8) Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
(9) Meanwhile, prepare the toppings. As earlier stated, you can use any toppings of your choice. Some bacon or sausage will be great here. I will advice you try this recipe out with my choice of toppings. I have posts on the website which show how to grill salmon fillets, steam spinach and dry tomato with an oven. (Click on links). The combination of these 3 toppings is amazing.
(10) After 30 minutes, take potato out of oven and crack an egg into each nest. Top with toppings and put back in oven for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how you like your yolks.
(11) Grate some Parmesan cheese over nests and serve.
If you love egg dishes, you can also try making some Basque Eggs. Enjoy!