Lentils are lens-shaped seeds which are rich in protein, minerals and fiber. It is a healthy substitute for recipes which call for the use of beans or peas. Lentils come in a wide range of colors depending on their species. The type of lentils will determine the cooking duration. In this recipe, I made use of organic green lentils. This dish is quite hearty and satisfying. It gets most of its flavor from the broth in which it is braised and is fortified with fresh kale leaves.
(1) 1 Cup Lentils
(2) 2 Cups Mirepoix (See Note 1)
(3) 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
(4) 1 Bay Leaf
(5) Few Sprigs of Fresh Thyme (or 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme)
(6) 4 – 5 Cups Chicken or Meat Broth (See Note 2)
(7) 2 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
(8) 1/2 Cup White Wine
(9) Salt and Pepper to taste
(10) A Handful Chopped Kale
(1) 1 Salmon Steak
(2) Salt and Pepper to taste
(1) Mirepoix is a blend of 3 aromatic vegetables (carrots, onions and celery) which have been chopped finely. You can read how to make your mirepoix blend here.
(2) The cooking duration will depend on the type of lentils you use. Thus, you might need more than 4 cups of broth if the cooking duration lasts more than 40 minutes. You can learn how to make your own broth at home here.
(1) Prepare your mirepoix.
(2) In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil and saute the mirepoix, minced garlic, bay leaf and thyme together until the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper while sauteing.
(3) Add the lentils to the pot and mix to coat the seeds with the oil.
(4) Add the white wine and cook until the wine dries up.
(5) Add the broth to the pot, bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 40 minutes or until the lentils are soft. If the lentils are not soft after 40 minutes and the broth has dried, add more broth and continue cooking until the lentils are soft.
(6) Once the lentils are cooked, switch off the heat and add the chopped kale if using. Mix to combine. The heat from the lentils will soften the kale a bit.
For Grilled Salmon:
(1) Preheat your grill and grease it with some oil.
(2) Season the salmon steak with salt and pepper and grill on both sides for about 5 minutes per side, depending on the size of the salmon steak.
Serve the grilled salmon on the braised lentils.
Salmon Steak with Sauteed Broccolini. Recipe here.
(2) Lentil Moi Moi (Steamed Beans Pudding). Recipe here.