This is one of those dishes where I had a key ingredient, in this case, some fresh spinach linguine, and allowed that ingredient to inspire the meal. This is the approach I take to most of my meals. I ravaged through the remains of my almost empty food storage and fridge and bit by bit this dish was born. You can prepare this meal in just 30 minutes and is thus perfect for those days when you are too tired or don’t have the luxury of time to cook some boeuf bourguignon. This pasta dish makes use of spinach linguine which adds a veggie taste to the final dish. It also has capers and bacon, and as we all know, everything is better with bacon. I am certain you will enjoy this meal, and if you are in for a food-perience, pair it with a chilled glass of Mimosa.
(1) A Box of Fresh Spinach Linguine Pasta (Feel free to use any ribbon cut pasta that you have).
(2) 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
(3) 1 Tablespoon Butter
(4) 1/2 Cup White Wine
(5) 1/2 Cup Broth
(6) 1/3 Cup Bacon cut into lardons (short strips)
(7) 2 Teaspoons Capers
(8) 1 Small Shallot
(9) 1 Garlic Clove
(10) 2 Teaspoons Chopped Parsley
(11) 1/4 Cup Freshly Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
(12) Salt and Pepper to Taste
(1) Place pan on low heat and render bacon lardons till crispy.
(2) Remove bacon and drain oil.
(3) Heat butter and olive oil together in pan.
(4) Fry shallot and garlic till translucent, about 2 minutes.
(5) Deglaze with wine and cook for 1 minute.
(6) Add chicken broth, capers and pepper. Allow to cook covered for about 15 minutes or till sauce reduces by half.
(7) Meanwhile, boil some water in a large pot, season with salt and cook pasta till al dente. Fresh pasta cooks really fast. This might take a maximum of 5 minutes. Drain pasta.
(8) Check sauce for seasoning and adjust. Be careful not to over salt this dish as the bacon is already salty. Pour your perfectly cooked pasta into sauce and mix. Scatter the chopped parsley over pasta dish and serve with some grated parmigiano-reggiano.
This meal is best enjoyed with a glass of Mimosa. Simply mix 1 part champagne with one part thoroughly chilled orange juice. Don’t have champagne? You can cheat with some sparkling wine. Enjoy!