Kale, also known as Borecole, is a very nutritious vegetable with green or purple (sometimes referred to as red) leaves. This close relative of the cabbage is very high in beta carotene,vitamins K and C, and rich in Calcium. Though often times consumed in its cooked form due to the somewhat coarse nature of its leaves, this super vegetable can also be relished in its raw form. This recipe makes use of raw kale and combines it with orange segments, apple matchsticks and roasted pine nuts to produce a surprisingly sweet and juicy salad. I can guarantee you that once you take the first fork, you won’t be able to stop eating this salad. It makes a very good first course.
(1) 1 Small Bunch of Red Kale (You can also use green Kale)
(2) 1 Large Apple (Preferably a tart apple like Granny Smith)
(3) 1 Large Orange
(4) Few Drops of Lemon Juice
(5) 3 Tablespoons of Pine Nuts
(1) 2 Tablespoons Fresh Orange Juice
(2) 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
(3) 3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar (or White Wine Vinegar)
(4) 1 Teaspoon Orange Zest
(5) 1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
(6) 1/2 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
(7) Salt and Pepper to taste.
(1) Wash kale leaves, pat or spin dry, remove mid ribs and slice thin. Place in salad bowl.
(2) Wash and dry orange. Zest some of it which you will use for the vinaigrette. Peel and cut orange into segments and add segments to kale. Learn how to do this here.
(3) Wash apple and cut into matchsticks using a sharp knife or a mandolin slicer. Sprinkle a few drops of lemon juice on the apple matchsticks to prevent them from oxidizing. Add to kale.
(4) Toast pine nuts in a pan for about 3 minutes. This releases the fragrant oils from the nuts and improves their taste. Add toasted pine nuts to salad mixture.
(1) Place all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a blender and process until emulsified. Sprinkle some dried thyme on vinaigrette (optional).
Drizzle vinaigrette over salad and toss. Serve immediately. If not serving, immediately do not add vinaigrette until a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!