This is a play on the traditional pumpkin pie. In place of pumpkin, this pie is filled with some candied butternut-squash and sweet-potato along with holiday spices. Though sweet potato is used, it does not make the pie too sweet. If you are bored with the everyday run-of-the-mill pumpkin pie, this is one recipe I would recommend. This is a recipe by Bruno Albouze.
(1) Pre-Baked Pie Crust (Pate Brisee) (See Note 1)
(2) Candied Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato (See Note 2)
(3) 1 Large Egg
(4) 2 Egg Yolks
(5) 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
(6) 1/4 Spoon Grated Nutmeg
(7) 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
(8) 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
(1) The recipe for pre-baked pie crust can be found here.
(2) The recipe for candied butternut squash & sweet potato can be found here. Ensure that this is completely cold before using it for the pie.
(1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
(2) Place candied butternut squash and sweet potato in a food processor and process until smooth.
(3) Add egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract and spices to the mixture and process to mix. Finally add sour cream and process to mix.
(4) Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pie crust and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
(5) Cool pie on cooling rack after baking, unmold and serve.
For other thanksgiving dessert options, do check out my Pumpkin-Chocolate Cheesecake.