This is easily gonna be one of the best things you have ever eaten, bar none. I took a buttery red velvet cake, mixed it with some creamy cream cheese frosting and cognac and dipped in rich melted chocolate. Why? Because everyone deserves a little luxury.Unlike other cake, fruit and candy balls, these ones remain moist till the very last one. Every component here is made from scratch. You will be amazed about how easy it is to make these delights. They are also the perfect gift for a loved one. Let’s make some truffles.
(1) Red Velvet Cake
Recipe can be found here. Half of the recipe will give about 30 truffles.
(2) Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe can be found here. You will need about a quarter of the recipe.
(1) 1 Tablespoon Cognac
(2) 226 Grams of Chocolate (8 Ounces) (You can use either dark or white chocolate or a mixture of both)
(3) Sprinkles, Colored Sugars, Sugar Pearls, et cetera.
(1) Make red velvet cake and let it chill in the fridge before using.
(2) Make creamcheese frosting
(1) Place parchment paper on a baking tray.
(2) When cake has cooled down completely, crumble cake with your hands.
(3) Add 1/2 cup of your cream cheese frosting and cognac to cake crumbs and mix well till incorporated. You can add more cream cheese frosting if the mixture is not coming together.
(4) Divide mixture into small portions and roll into balls with hands. You can use an ice cream scoop or a kitchen scale to make sure the balls are equally proportioned. I used a kitchen scale and each ball weighed 20 grams. It might be easier to divide all the mixture before rolling into balls.
(5) Place rolled balls in fridge to solidify. This should take about 2 hours. Can be left this way in fridge overnight.
(6) After 2 hours, temper your chocolate by melting over a pot of boiling water. Stir till evenly melted. See how to melt chocolate here.
(7) Using a fork, dip the rolled balls into melted chocolate. Shake fork to ensure the excess chocolate drips off. Place chocolate dipped balls on prepared baking tray.
(8) You can sprinkle with edible cake decorations or drizzle with chocolate of different colors. This is your chance to get creative.
(9) Return truffles to fridge so that chocolate can solidify. They are ready to be eaten. You can place them in fancy boxes if you intend to give them out as a gift. Truffles should remain in fridge due to the use of cream cheese frosting.
Don’t forget to like my Facebook page. Enjoy!