Pound cakes are very rich cakes with dark crusts and a buttery taste. I have a recipe for a soft and buttery pound cake which can be found here. In this recipe, I took a pound cake and introduced almond flavors to it in 3 ways: Almond Flour, Almond Extract and Sliced Almonds. The result is a rich cake with a crunchy crust loaded with almond flavor. It also gives quite some crumbs for crumb cake lovers. If you love almond based dessert or threats like macaroons or marzipan, this cake would make you weak in the knees. This is a personal recipe.
(1) 226 Gram Unsalted Butter (1 Cup) (See Note 1)
(2) 200 Grams Granulated White Sugar (1 Cup)
(3) 4 Large Eggs
(4) 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
(5) 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
(6) 180 Grams Cake Flour (1-1/2 Cups)
(7) 65 Grams Almond Flour (1/2 Cup) (See Note 2)
(8) 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
(9) 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
(10) 1/4 Cup Milk (4 Tablespoons)
(11) 1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds
(1) If you are using salted butter, omit the salt in this recipe.
(2) Check Baking Solutions No. 4 for how to properly make almond flour.
(3) Your butter and all the wet ingredients should be at room temperature.
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(2) Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter. Set aside.
(3) In a large bowl, combine cake flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt.
(4) In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
(4) Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
NOTE: Do not add eggs all at once or the batter would separate.
(5) Next, add vanilla and almond extract and mix to combine.
(6) In 3 additions (flour, milk, flour) add flour mixture and milk to batter and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
(7) Pour batter into prepared pan, level and sprinkle the top of the batter with sliced almonds.
(8) Bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
(9) Allow loaf to cool for 5 minutes in the cake pan before unmolding.
Leftover cake can be wrapped in foil paper and stored at room temperature for a few days.