This is one of my go-to chicken recipes. It is very easy to make and always delivers in terms of flavor. One thing I love about this meal is that it makes use of the whole chicken. I am a holistic cook and believe that every part of an animal should be utilized. It can be eaten alone as an appetizer or served as a side with rice or potatoes. This dish showcases the simplicity of chicken and the flavor complexity of rosemary. Though commonly used when roasting lamb and other meats, rosemary can also be used to flavor stove top meals without necessarily overpowering the other ingredients. The broth keeps the chicken juicy and the carrots add a touch of sweetness to the meal.
(1) 1 Chicken (Segmented)
(2) 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
(3) 1 Shallot
(4) 1/2 Cup White Wine
(5) 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth or Water
(6) 3 Tablespoons Rosemary (Roughly Chopped)
(7) Salt and Pepper to Taste
(1) Cut chicken into segments, wash and pat dry.
(2) Season chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
(3) Heat oil in pan and brown chicken on all sides. Do not overcrowd pan so as not to bring down the temperature of the oil. You can brown chicken in batches. Take chicken out after browning. You will have some brown bits at the bottom of the pan, that’s gold, don’t discard. They are gonna impact some dynamite flavor into the meal.
(4) Add more oil if you need to. Transfer chopped shallots to pan and saute till translucent.
(5) Deglaze pan with white wine. The brown bits at the bottom of the pan will become part of the sauce.
(6) Add broth and taste for seasoning. Adjust if needed. Remember the chicken has already been salted and the broth will have some salt too. So season sparingly.
(7) Return chicken to pan, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
(8) Meanwhile, scrape and chop your carrots and steam in some salted water for about 3 minutes. You want them to retain a bit of their crunch. This will add some texture to the meal.
(9) After 15 minutes, chop the rosemary and sprinkle over chicken. Cover pot and cook for another 10 minutes.
(10) Serve chicken hot in its broth with steamed carrots. Enjoy!