I love lemon desserts and this cake is an amazing way of showing off lemons in a dessert. It is a rich and moist butter cake filled with lemon curd and frosted with a glossy seven minute frosting. If you are a lemon fan like myself, you are in for a threat.
(1) 260 Grams All Purpose Flour (2 Cups)
(2) 226 Grams Unsalted Butter (1 Cup)
(3) 200 Grams Granulated White Sugar (1 Cup)
(4) 4 Large Eggs
(5) 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
(6) 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
(7) Zest of 1 Lemon
(8) 1 Teaspoon Purr Vanilla Extract
(9) 1/4 Teaspoon Pur Lemon Extract
(10) 1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
(11) 1/2 Cup Milk
For Lemon Curd:
Find lemon curd recipe here.
For Seven Minute Frosting:
Find seven minute frosting here.
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
(2) Butter or spray two 7 or 8 inch cake pans and line bottom with parchment paper.
(3) In a large bowl, mix flout, baking powder and salt. Grate in lemon zest and mix to combine.
(4) In the bowl of your stand mixer attached with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth, about 1 minute. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Use rubber spatula to scrape sides of bowl if needed.
(5) Next, with mixer running on low speed, add eggs one at a time. Beat until blended.
(6) Next add Vanilla and lemon extracts and beat.
(7) Add flour mixture, milk and lemon juice in this order: flour, milk, flour, Lemon juice, flour. Beat just until combined. Do not over mix.
(8) Turn batter into prepared pans and bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
(9) Allow cakes to cool on cooling racks for about 10 minutes before taking out of pans.
To fill and frost cake, allow cakes to cool down completely, level and divide each layer into two, fill generously with lemon curd and frost with seven minute frosting. Leftover cakes should be stored in the fridge. This cake is best eaten the day it is made.
TIP: for perfect layers and ease when slicing, put cakes in fridge for a couple of hours before dividing and frosting.
Love Lemon desserts? Check out my amazing Lemon Poppyseed Loaf.
See also my Lemon Banana Bread with Lemon Frosting.