This is a classic example of how two ingredients from different parts of the world can complement each other. This is an apple-tamarind tart with a cream cheese filling and sweet pastry crust. This tart is tangy thanks to the combination of Granny Smith apples and tamarind. It is best eaten warm and can be enjoyed at different seasons of the year. A friend of mine raved: “This tart is evil!” If you are bored of the same old apple tarts and pies, let me introduce you to something new: a tart tart that lives up to its name!
(1) 163 Grams All Purpose Flour (1-1/4 Cups)
(2) 169 Grams Cold Unsalted Butter (3/4 Cup)
(3) 50 Grams Granulated White Sugar (1/4 Cup)
(4) 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
(1) The Flesh of 4 Tamarind Fruits
(2) 1 Large Egg
(3) 227 Grams Cream Cheese (8 Ounces)
(4) 100 Grams Granulated White Sugar (1/2 Cup) (Divided into 2)
(5) 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
(6) 3 Large Granny Smith Apples
(7) 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
(8) 1 Lemon
(9) 1/4 Cup Sliced Almonds
(1) In a food processor, place flour, sugar and salt and process for about 1 minute. This will bread down the sugar to smaller particles
(2) Chop cold butter, add to flour mixture and process till mixture resembles bread crumbs and start coming together.
(3) Pour mixture into a 9 inch tart pan and pres into bottom and sides of pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge while you make filling.
(1) Take tamarind flesh out of fruits.
(2)Place cream cheese and tamarind in food processor and process to break down tamarind and cream cheese.
(3) Add 1/4 cup of sugar (50 grams) to mixture and process to blend.
(4) Add egg and vanilla extract to mixture and process till combined. Do not over process.
(5) Take crust out of fridge and pour cream cheese and tamarind mixture over crust. Cover and return back to fridge.
(6) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
(7) Core, peel and slice apples into tiny circles. If you do not have an apple corer, you can divide apple into two with a knife, core and peel. Squeeze some lemon juice over sliced apple to prevent oxidation.
(8) Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Add to sliced apple and toss to cover apples. Be gentle not to break apple slices.
(9) Take crust and filling out of fridge and arrange apple slices over filling.
(10) Sprinkle sliced almonds over pie.
(11) Bake in preheated oven for 10 mins. Then reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes or till apple slices are soft.
(12) Take tart out of oven and allow to cool for some few minutes on cooling rack before take tart out.
(13) Slice tart. Best eaten warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!