If you love poached eggs and caramelized peppers, you will love this dish. Best part of it all is that you do not have to go through the stress (joy maybe?) of poaching an egg. It is simply an egg nestled in a bed of fried peppers, tomatoes and onions. It makes a lovely balanced breakfast and pairs nicely with some grilled toast. Lets get cracking!
This makes 1 Basque Egg.
(1) 1 Large Red Bell Pepper
(2) 1 Small Tomato
(3) 1 Medium Sized Onion
(4) 1 Large Egg
(5) 1 Bay Leaf
(6) 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
(7) Salt and Pepper to Taste
(1) Julienne Pepper, Onions and Tomato. See how here.
(2) Heat Oil.
(3) Fry Onions till translucent, stirring regularly. About 2 minutes.
(4) Add bay leaf, pepper and tomato to onions. Season, cover and cook till liquid dries up. About 10 minutes. Stir every now and then.
(5) Create hole in middle of sauteed peppers and crack an egg into the hole. Season Egg. Cover and allow to cook. Cooking duration will depend on how you like your yolks.
(6) Serve hot. You can serve on a bed of thinly sliced ham or on toast. Enjoy!